Since my last post about the problems with the fetishization of brazilian women and what happens when men with that mentality come to Brazil (sexual tourism) suddenly started getting notes, I’d like to expose what happens when brazilian women leave the country.
This is a project by exange students from Brazil in the University of Coimbra, in Portugal, the signs contain phrases that were actually said to them
- " ‘But you’re Brazilian’ - when I rejected a sexual advance"
- " ‘So, girl… are you a call girl?’ - said by a teacher who loves to imitate brazilian accents (and say shit) "
- " ‘The Brazilian girls need to take care of their behaviour, otherwise they’ll reinforce the stereotype of prostitutes, whores or easy’ - ‘advice’ from a teacher"
- "Do you know what a Brazilian say when she takes a picture? Penis."
- " ‘Even with all the xenophobia, Coimbra is way better than São Paulo, isn’t it?’ - Director of FLUC, my answer: No."
I’m sure you’ve all heard about racism towards latin@s in other countries, it’s important to notice, however, the particularities when it comes to latina women, the intersection of racism and misogyny.The fact is, women of color are constantly being said to be promiscuous, that is, sexually avaliable to the white man, and turned into a fetish, an exotic object - the ‘easy’ brazilian with a big ass who loves to samba, for instance, the naive schoolgirl japanese girl, etc.
Again, I find it important to talk about all of this on tumblr so we don’t get lost in some shallow, whitecentric and eurocentric feminism.